May 24 & 25, 2014
Celebrate the success of our capital campaign at TinkerFest, an event that pays homage to those artists who spend hours creating from cast-off materials...celebrates the inventor building rockets in her garage, artists crafting textiles that think..and revels in the zany contraptions that come from back-yard innovation. TinkerFest brings technology together with craftspeople, educators, families, artists to learn from each other.
This year's presenters and activities include:
- LEGO contest and open build with Rebel Bricks
- Rogue Hack Lab stations like Toy Hacking, Programming, Electronics Take Apart and more!
- Car Take Apart
- Chalk Art
- SOU's Experimental Print Making Class
- Sound Forest
- Wearable Circuits
- Wind Sculptures
- Needle Felting
- Shadow Theater
- LeatherWorks with Dan's Shoe Repair
- SOU's Emerging Media & Digital Arts
Click on the PDF link below for a complete schedule of events and description of activities.
Online registration is closed. Please call 541 482-6767 to register.
- Felted Circuits - Saturday 1 - 4 pm - We combine two of our favorite tinkering skills to build one of a kind creations (maybe even creatures) in this one fantastic experience! Learn the limitless art of needle felting, and then use conductive thread and LEDs to add light up circuits. Make battery eating monsters, a name tag that glows, or maybe UFO to take home! All the instruction, tools and materials you need are provided so you just need to bring your imagination to this hands-on PlayShop.
- Limited to 12 tinkerers (each tinkerer creates their own project, a younger tinker may need an adult to work with and may register as one)
- Cost: $30 per person
- Age: recommended 10 and up (this PlayShop will use sharp felting needles and hot glue guns)
- Chain Reaction - Sunday 1 - 4 pm - Be a part of a one of a kind Rube Golberg type invention challenge. Your team will design and build one of several sections of a chain reactive machine using a wide pallet of raw materials that we will provide. Imagine - Build - Test - Celebrate the creative potential of collaborative design. The PlayShop will commence at 1 pm and conclude at 4pm with the grand finally of setting our creation in motion to see the genius of each teams creation.
- Limited to 24 people (6 teams of 4)
- Cost: $20 per person or $50 per team
- Age: recommended 10 and up
- Da Vinci's Garage Grand Opening - Saturday at 11am - Celebrate the opening of our new tinker studio, made possible with funds from our Capital Campaign
- LEGO Building Contest: Science Works! - Saturday from 12 - 3 pm Gather your team of 3 or 4 and create a contraption that works - maybe it spins, maybe it knocks a ball, you decide, you invent it! Great prizes! Tons of fun! Online registration is closed. Please call 541 482-6767 to register.
- TinkerFilms - Saturday at 8:30 pm (weather permitting) - The Exploratorium is joining with ScienceWorks to show a handful of short films about tinkering, fiddling, dabbling, monkeying, messing with, destroying, creating, and otherwise playing with your hands! Each film is just a couple minutes long and was chosen specifically for the Rogue Valley! Bring a blanket and don't miss this quirky, quizzical look at machines, science and film shown drive-in style on our front lawn.
- TinkerFest: $10 per person, per day (age 2 & up), $5 per ScienceWorks Member, per day (age 2 & up)
- Saturday night TinkerFilms: Free for everyone!
Check out last year's event and get ready for another amazing TinkerFest!
TinkerFest is made possible with support from
2014 TinkerFest Program.pdf
||This year's TinkerFest is jam-packed with amazing tinkering fun! Check out all the details and schedule of events in our TinkerFest program. |
The above document(s) are Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files and may be viewed using the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™. Most newer web browsers already contain the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ plug-in. However, if you need it, click on the "Get Acrobat® Reader™" icon to download it now.