1500 E. Main St.
Ashland, OR 97520
Contact: Rachel Cardillo
Email: rachel@sciencework. . .
Hours: Every day, 10 am - 6 pm
Public Programs Coordinator
Start Date – 1/1/2014
- Actively innovate programs and materials, and keep current on trends in the field.
- Create learning experiences for museum guests that are high quality, highly engaging, and encourage inquiry and exploration.
- Actively manage the people, materials, and space to facilitate transformative learning experiences for museum guests that spark engagement and respond to the interests of guests.
- Coordinate themed weekend events, including creating thematic programming, collaborating with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure staffing, leveraging community partners to provide special programming, obtaining all materials, and monitoring elements of weekend budgets.
- Lead ScienceLive shows as scheduled, primarily on weekends and high attendance days such as holidays.
- Collaborate with the Education Manager and other staff to create and adjust ScienceLive shows.
- Manage the staffing of the Exploration Station and Tinker Tank for education programming when ScienceWorks is open to the public.
- Use reflection and evaluation strategies to assess the effectiveness and value of public programming.
- Maintain a schedule that meets the greatest needs of museum guests. This will require weekend and holiday work.
- Work in collaboration with the exhibit department to design and maintain the physical spaces associated with programming.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Eagerness to work with the public to create extraordinary learning environments
- Knowledge of child development & informal learning
- Current understanding of a wide variety of science concepts
- Able to motivate and invest others in tasks and goals
- Strong organizational skills allowing the candidate to organize and coordinate multiple events simultaneously, and lead people to align with and reach goals.
- Strong communication skills allowing the candidate to break down complex topics and teach them to a wide variety of audiences
- Able to perform / present science content in engaging and dynamic ways.
- Desire to receive and give feedback, and ability to utilize feedback to continually increase effectiveness
- Highly motivated, requiring minimal supervision to accomplish ambitious goals
- Experience in, and passion for the Tinker/Maker movement is strongly preferred. We are developing a tinker space and, in partnership with the education manager and exhibits manager, our new public programs coordinator will play a significant role in developing this space and programming.
- Spanish fluency is a plus
Education & Training
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in the fields of science or education
- $28,000 annual salary
- Health Insurance
- Opportunity to opt into Dental Insurance and 403b
- Paid vacation and sick days
- ScienceWorks Family Membership
Submit the materials below to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- Current Resume
- 3 work references (provide name, title & organization, email, phone)