ScienceWorks Hands-on Museum is seeking a leader to coordinate, supervise and train our museum volunteers. ScienceWorks has a volunteer base with a wide range of talents and skills who help with anything from exhibit maintenance and construction to supporting museum education programs at the museum and via outreach programs to local schools. The selected candidate will be responsible for raising community awareness of the museum volunteer program, recruiting diverse new volunteers and fostering partnerships with regional organizations and businesses that are interested in helping the museum via our volunteer program.
As a member of the museum development team, the Volunteer Coordinator plays an active role in cultivating and retaining museum supporters, particularly via volunteer recognition and retention programs. The Volunteer Coordinator works closely with the museum education department, supporting its efforts to engage the public in active, curiosity-based learning. The Volunteer Coordinator is often present in our museum galleries where they are available to answer general questions and address issues that may arise with guests or volunteer staff.
Hours: This is a part time position with possibility of expanding to full-time in the future. Typical work schedule is Wednesday -- Sunday, with flexibility for special events and occasional evening events.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
To be considered qualified for the job applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
• At least one year of experience in a customer service and/or volunteer coordination position
• Six months prior supervisory experience working with volunteers, preferred
• Experience with or strong interest in science and hands-on learning
• The ability to develop, train, orientate and motivate volunteer staff as well as mentor and/or conduct corrective action as needed in a constructive and professional manner
• Ability to promote teamwork and collaboration
• The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to groups and/or individuals
• Intermediate computer skills preferred. (Microsoft Word, Excel and Gmail email)
• Strong ability to focus on a variety of tasks and follow-up as required
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to be proactive in planning and scheduling
• Must be able to effectively handle challenging guest relations issues and/or volunteer staff issues with diplomacy and tact while maintaining company policies and procedures
• Demonstrated ability to provide excellent guest service and the ability to motivate volunteers to do the same
• Demonstrated excellent organizational skills
• Must be able to maintain focus during busy periods of time to achieve goals and self-initiative to prioritize multiple projects
• Ability to effectively work independently and with teams on multiple, simultaneous, diverse tasks
• Flexibility to modify work schedule as needed.
Pre-employment and/or pre-duty checks, such as criminal background check and professional reference checks are also required.
ScienceWorks is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 professional references in MS Word format or pdf by January 2, 2013 to:
or by mailing to:
ScienceWorks Hands-on Museum
1500 East Main Street
Ashland, OR 97520