1500 E. Main St.
Ashland, OR 97520
Email: info@scienceworksm. . .
Hours: Every Day, 10 am - 6 pm, Memorial Day - Labor Day
Position: Summer Camp Instructor
2018 Call For Summer Camp Camp Proposals
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum is looking for dynamic, enthusiastic, energetic and creative individuals to teach our Summer Science Camps. ScienceWorks will be offering 9 weeks of camps from June 18 - Aug 24 (no camp the week of July 4). Instructors are usually hired to teach between 1-3 sessions of camp aligned to our mission: To inspire wonder and stimulate creative exploration through fun interactive science and the arts. Each week we offer experiences for campers entering grades K-1, 2-5, Middle and High school.
Seekers Camps (entering K-1):
If you love to teach younger children, we are looking for leaders to teach Seekers Camps. These camps will run for five days and take place in the morning, from 9am - Noon. Class size is limited to approximately 15 students. We are looking for educators to submit course proposals for one or two camp sessions. Possible themes include dinosaurs, bugs, animals, plants, art, chemistry, magnetism or any other science related theme. Remember that science is a way of exploring the world around us so, especially for our smallest scientists, most topics have a connection to science.
Explorers Camps (entering grades 2-5)
Explorers camps offer a full day of themed programming from 9am - 4pm. Camp Instructors are not responsible for camper supervision during the hour long Lunch Bunch. Maximum camp size is about 17 students. This year all campers will attend full days, so camp plans should outline activities that build on one another throughout the day and week. Highly engaging camp proposals are sought for camps such as LEGO Robotics, animation/claymation, engineering, dissection, CSI/forensic science, flight, sound/music, engineering/building, motion, chemistry, electricity, or anything else science related. Remember that science is a way of exploring the world around us so most topics have a connection to science.
This is a part-time, seasonal, contracted position. The rate of pay is $425 for half day camp (grades K-1), and $850 for full day camp (grades 2-5). This stipend provides compensation for training, planning, and prep in the spring as well as facilitation of the camp during the assigned week. Stipends are paid at the completion of a week of camp. If your camp reaches full registration (15 for K-1 camps, 17 for 2-5 camps) instructors will also receive a free Family Membership to ScienceWorks, which may be used by the instructor or gifted to another family.
Bachelors degree in the sciences, art, education or related field preferred. Experience working with children is a must! Successful candidates should have experience developing and implementing fun and engaging hands-on activities. A background check is required. Please note that these are highly competitive positions. You will be required to submit lesson plans prior to camp. All instructors are required to complete training prior to camp, primarily through an instructor meeting, the date for which will be set once all instructors are hired.
To apply, please submit a course proposal by Feb 10, 2018 to:
Director of Education
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
1500 E. Main St.
Ashland, OR 97520
541.482.6767 ext. 226
Submitting a Course Proposal
ScienceWorks does not hire instructors for the entire summer, although some instructors do teach multiple sessions. Please submit multiple proposals if you would like to be considered for multiple sessions.
For your course proposal, please include the following information:
- Dates you are available to teach.
- Which camp age group you are interested in teaching.
- Course Title: Should be catchy and grab the attention of the reader.
- Course Description: Should describe your class in such a way that will entice students to sign up for the camp. Every description should be creative and include specific details about activities that will take place during the camp. Please include as many hands-on and project based activities as possible. 50 words or less please.
- Sample lesson showing programming for a full day of your camp (3 hrs for K-1; 6 hrs for Grades 2-5). There is no specific format required for your sample plan, but it should show what campers are learning and doing and should represent your ability to plan an experience that is fun, engaging, safe, and age appropriate. *If this is a course you've taught before, please state when and where you have taught it; a sample plan may not be necessary.*
- Equipment requirements for your camp (access to water, outside, electricity. . .).
- Resume, references, and contact information, including phone, address, and e-mail.